< Back

Tax Forms Q & A

Posted by: Advisors Management Group in Taxes

What documents do I need to prepare my tax return, and when will I receive them?

The documents you need will vary from person to person depending on the situation. The following are some of the most common forms you can receive for tax time. They will be sent to you by January 31.

  • W2 reports income earned from an employer
  • 1099-INT reports bank interest earned
  • 1098 reports mortgage interest paid
  • 1098-E reports student loan interest paid
  • 1099-SA shows any distribution from an HSA account
  • SSA-1099 reports social security income received
  • 1099-R shows a distribution from a retirement account such as an IRA or 401(K)
  • 1095-(A,B or C) shows proof that you you’ve had health insurance coverage

The next two forms have a deadline of February 15.

  • 1099-B reports sales of stocks, mutual funds or bonds
  • 1099-Div reports dividends and interest from stocks, mutual funds and bonds

Tax forms can be delivered to you via mail or electronically. If you receive electronic statements or pay stubs, you will also typically receive your tax form electronically. This usually occurs through a website “portal”.

These are the most common tax forms, but there are many more. If you have questions, talk with a tax professional or call Advisors Management Group.

This material is for general information and education purposes only. It does not constitute individual investment, tax or legal advice.  Consult your individual advisors for investment, tax or legal advice specific to your circumstances. Opinions expressed are those of Advisors Management Group, Inc. and are subject to change, not guaranteed, and should not be considered recommendations to buy or sell any security.  Past performance is no guarantee of future returns, and investing involves multiple risks, including, but not limited to, the risk of permanent losses. Advisors Management Group, Inc. is a fee-only SEC Registered Investment Advisory firm with its principal place of business in Wisconsin providing investment management services.  A copy of our current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for your review upon request.


Secure Your Financial Future